Possible Leave Water Contamination
My question has to do with rusty colored water. I winterized my pool like I do every year although I am not sure on the choline level before I closed it. Usually I shock it to death before closing but last year I may have lowered it a bit. My question is..I picked up the cover yesterday to peak inand noticed rusty colored water. I have a steel cover which I used this year. I am wondering if the leaves mixed in with rain water at some point because there is brown water on the cover.
Could that have seaped through the cover and turned the water that color? I see no tears but noticed the cover may have stretched here and there. There iss still a think sheet of ice at the service but inside the ice there appears to be trapped dirt particles here and there.
Now I also think it could be algae which I have NEVER had an issue with but it appears the bottom of the pool is also covered in this stuff. If I take the net handle and run it on the bottom I can see clear streaks like its coming off.. Would leaf water contamination coat the bottom like that? There wasn't that much water on top of the cover really. I pumped it off and screened off the leaves so now I may have to open it ASAP. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks for the question Ken
The short answer to your question is yes, leaves and other debris combined with heavy algae can cause water to become discolored. It may be that your cover has rusted and that rust dripped into the pool but without a visual on my part it's just speculation.
The neighbor's pool that I take care of has a screen around it and can be seen in my YouTube videos. Many pools in Florida have them. Her screen has been ripped and torn from her dog which allows debris, leaves, and acorns to fall into her pool. All of this causes organic staining on the bottom that can only be remedied by shocking the pool and scrubbing with a wire brush. Any leaves or dirt that falls into the pool will eventually settle to the bottom and perhaps stain it as well. Again, this can be taken care of by bringing the chlorine level up to 12 ppm for a couple of days, rigorous brushing and filtering.
My advice would be to scoop
as much debris out of the pool as you can, test the water and adjust everything but the chlorine. Turn the filter on and shock the pool with liquid chlorine. It's 1 gallon of chlorine per 10k gallons to increase the level 10ppm. Keep filtering and backwashing once per day. You may need to shock 2 - 3 times before the water starts to clear up. Shocking is a process, not an event. The trick is to get AND keep the chlorine above 10 - 12ppm for a period of time. You'll need to manually dose the pool with chlorine to keep it at 10 - 12ppm. Make the adjustment at night, then retest in the morning. You can go up to 15ppm, but no higher. Anything after that and you're wasting money and chemicals.
You'll know this is working because the pool will go from green to a white/grey cloudy and the chlorine will begin to hold better. First you may lose most, then 2/3, then 1/2, and so on. Once you only lose 1 - 2ppm of chlorine 8 - 10 hours after the last application you know the algae is dead. Now it's just a matter of filtering and backwashing once per day. Broadcast the chlorine around the perimeter of the pool and brush well. This will loosen up any algae adhering to the walls and bottom.
Shocking a pool isn't adding a bag of chlorine to a pool and expecting it to clear up the pool. Shocking a pool means to kill/eliminate the algae and organic matter. This is done by dosing the pool with enough chlorine to reach a high enough FC level and keeping it at this level to allow the chlorine to kill the algae and organics in the pool faster than they can reproduce.
I would also check the cover or any holes or cracks. Being it's metal it may have a tendency to rust and you don't want that going into the pool. Removing metal stains is totally different than removing organic stains and sometimes much more expensive.
If you feel your situation is more complex than this, I do phone consultations for a donation of your choice. It makes things go much faster and many people have found it extremely beneficial, saving them time and money in the long run. All your questions will be answered. I have nothing to sell you so you know I'm not bias.
Hope this helps and have a great Summer.