Cement Crumbling Around Pool

by Magnolia

My pool is exaclty 4 months old. My pool has a cememt boarder on it and the the part that touches the water right above the tile water line the cement is getting chiped off like the water is eating it up.

What can be the problem? The cement placed was not good or the chemicals are eating it up? I have a professional person clean my pool weekly. Dont know if to call the cleaning person or the person that made my pool.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the question

I would contact both the pool cleaner and the contractor who did the cement work. This should not happen just after 4 months. Not withstanding a salt pool, cement around a pool that's properly balanced should last for years.

I'd like to have your complete chemical readings, the actual numbers: Chlorine, CYA (cyanuric acid/stabilizer), pH, Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness. The pool guy should have these numbers. It would be a big red flag for me if he doesn't give them to you or have them readily available. Ask to see the weekly log, not just give some chemical numbers over the phone. If there's any hesitation it may be a concern. When I was the pool operator at the Y any member could ask to see the chemical numbers. By law I had to offer it to them but I had no worries because they were always correct. Not to mention the Dept. of Health when they unexpectedly dropped by.

The water may be a bit too acidic causing premature wear on the cement. The correct range for pH is 7.2 - 7.8 and the TA is 80 - 120ppm. I'm not a cement expert so I can't say whether it was mixed or poured correctly.

If the water chemistry is a bit off you may have a case but until I actually see a pattern of chemical readings over a couple of months I can't say with a degree of certainty what's going on. The readings are the best place to start.

If you feel your situation is more complex than this, I do phone consultations for a donation of your choice. It makes things go much faster and many people have found it extremely beneficial, saving them time and money in the long run. All your questions will be answered. I have nothing to sell you so you know I'm not bias.

Pool Consultation

Hope this helps and have a great Summer.


Click here to read or post comments

Return to Pool Landscaping Ideas.

Crack In The Pool Wall And Liner Needs To Be Replaced..

by Sherry Ramsey

Our pool liner needs replaced and when we removed the old one, we found a crack in the wall of the pool.

How do we fix this and is there any other kind of liners besides vinyl?

I was watching "Yard Crashers" and they were remodeling a pool and they were spraying some black mixture on the pool.

Then they smoothed it down with a tool (don't know the name of the tool). It's long and flat with a handle, used to smooth out spackle?

Anyway, in the black mixture was a mix of stardust, stones, etc.

Is this a new kind of liner?

Thanks for the question Sherry

Here's a portion of it:

"You can also use a product called E-Z Joint Seal Self-Leveling Expansion Joint Sealant. This is an oxime neutral cure 100% silicone rubber expansion joint sealant.

You should allow the crack to dry. Wipe away the dust and debris.

Put a bead of caulk along the crack. You'll want to leave 1/4” space to allow the plaster to cover the caulking.

Let this dry."

You can go to this post to see how to repair the crack in your pool.

I'm not personally aware of another kind of pool liner that is not vinyl. There are alternatives to a vinyl liner such as tile, fiberglass, concrete, etc...but not a liner for a swimming pool that is not made of vinyl.

Concerning the spray the TV show had, my guess would be a liquid spray liner or some kind of liquid membrane. Membranes are mainly used for commercial pools because the thickness of the liner is about 40Xs that of normal home pool liners.

I'm not too familiar with spray on vinyl liners. I know that liquid vinyl is used for certain repairs for pool liners.

There is a certain spray on vinyl used for houses. This is used as an alternative for other kinds of siding.

Your best bet would be to call a local pool contractor and ask them about a spray vinyl liner.

Another alternative is Pebble Tec. This is a low-maintenance aggregate interior finish.

This finish is actually one of my favorites. It looks very nice and is very good on chemicals.

It comes in a variety of colors from dark to light and blue mixed in. A Pebble Tec pool finish can give you a unique, flexible design exactly the way you like it. And it can be tailored to your existing landscaping.

The TV episode you saw might have been a Pebble Tec application and finish.

Hope this helps and have a fun and safe swimming season.


Click here to post comments

Return to Pool Landscaping Ideas.

Protection For Above Ground Pool..Hard Plastic Edging Rolls..

by Susan

I am thinking of putting some sort of protection against the pool to help drainage but was not sure what you suggest to purchase before I put lay rock.

Where do your purchase the hard plastic edging rolls so it could butt right up to the wall/track but still allow water to drain.

And how expensive is this product?

I am putting up a new above ground pool and could the old liner be cut and used as a edging?

Thanks for the question Susan

You can go to Lowes or Home Depot to get a heavy duty black plastic cover to go under the rocks. There are mesh products as well, but this is mostly for weed and grass control.

I used the heavy plastic when I had to do maintenance work/above ground pool installation around the pools in Arizona.

I've never actually re-used a vinyl liner for anything, but it might save a little money if you could re-use yours and not have to buy any plastic.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't, but you may want to check with the vinyl manufacturer about it first.

As for the hard plastic edging rolls, you can either get them from a local pool store or Lowes/Home Depot, or a similar place.

I believe they come in rolls up to 32' or so and the price is about $50.

I wrote this on a similar question on this page:

Landscaping Around An above Ground Swimming Pool To Protect The Wall

(This is my understanding:
For Beaded Liners, create a packed triangular cove which is 4" high and 4" wide against the pool wall.

For Overlap Liners, create a packed triangular cove which is 6" high and 6" wide against the pool wall.

Lightly sweep over entire cove to remove any imperfections.

I would bring the contractor back, have him read the booklet, then prove to you that what he did matches what it says in the booklet. If it's not the same, ask him why not? Why is his way better than the manufacturer's requests?)


You may want to check this page out as well:

Pool Landscaping Ideas

After it's finished I'd love to see pics.

Hope this helps and have a great swimming season


Comment: April 5,2011


Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate your help. This will be of help to share with others that I know who have pools.

This information was very helpful!

I will pass your website on to my brother-in-law who has just bought a pool business in Sanford, NC.

May God richly bless you and your business.

Susan Mills

Click here to post comments

Return to Pool Landscaping Ideas.