Pool Opening..Used Algaecide And Floc...Now The Pool Is White And Cloudy...
(Clear Up A Green Pool eBook)
Opening pool for season. It was yucky. I shocked and added algaecide per direction. Ran for 24 hours then added flock. Ran for 2 hrs on recirculate and left for 24 hours. The pool usually clears and dead algae sinks to bottom to remove by vacuuming.
This year it still has a white surface and can't see the water has cleared like usual. Did I use too much floc? Not enough? Any suggestions?
Thanks for the question Sonny
I would first encourage you to read a couple of questions that have already been answered about pool start ups, algae, and flocs.
An algaecide is for preventative maintenance, and nothing more. It won't get rid of any algae that's already in the pool, only a good chlorine pool shock will do that.
You can go to these pages to learn exactly how much you need for a good shock to clear up your algae:
Swimming Pool Chlorine
You always want to go a little higher when shocking your pool. Up to 12 - 15ppm is fine, as long as you do it properly.
You never want to "just hit the mark" because you run the risk of not hitting the super chlorination spot.
If you choose to use an algaecide for weekly pool maintenance, be sure it's a PolyQuat 60. This has no metals and is safe for vinyl pool liners.
The question says "left for 24 hours". I'm not sure what that means, but I hope you didn't turn the pump motor off.
When your clearing up your pool you need to keep the filter running 24/7.
Yes, you can use a pool floc and the pump turned off, but this should be done after a good shock, filtering, and backwashing.
What many people do is add chemicals at the same time. This is where patience is needed.
You may have used too much floc. Sometimes it does take 48 hours for the floc to work.
If it has been over 24 hours and the water is still not clear, I would suggest you filter once more and keep it running.
Clean and/or backwash your filter once per day.
Click here to read or post comments
Return to Pool Start Up.