Shock Swimming Pool & Swim the Same Day?

by Carol

I was just wondering if you can shock your pool and swim in it the same day?

My water has become a bit cloudy and I was told that I need to shock my pool.

I was wondering if you can shock it and swim in it the same day and if there are any good and cheap kinds of swimming pool shock to use?

Thank you!

Thanks for your question Carol

It's not the amount of time after you shock your pool that you can swim, but when the pool chlorine level comes down to a safe level, about 1.5ppm - 3.5ppm.

It really depends on how good of a shock you get.

If the chlorine level is up 10ppm - 12ppm, then maybe a couple of days, with some good heat and sun, which will burn the chlorine off faster.

Adjust Your Swimming Pool Chlorine

Swimming Pool Shock

If you need to use the pool quicker, you can get a product called Thiosulphate which is a chlorine neutralizer.

This is sold in most pool supply stores.

Get a Taylor Reagent FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit and learn how to use it. This pool water testing kit is the most accurate.

Also, cloudy pool water is a result, most of the time, to swimming pool algae.

Cloudy Pool Water In Swimming Pools

Be sure you're shocking because you need to and not because it's Saturday.

The K-2006 pool water test kit will have a Chloramine test you take to determine if and/or when the pool needs to be shocked.

For a good pool shock, you can use either calcium hypochlorite (granules) or sodium hypochlorite (liquid pool chlorine).

The above swimming pool chlorine link has a chart you can follow

If you live in part of the country that has a high water hardness, then liquid pool chlorine is the way to go.

Good luck with your pool


Click here to post comments

Return to Pool Shock.

Swimming Right After Pool Shock

I had gone swimming in my pool and was in for about a good 30 mins. After I got out, I was informed that the pool was just shocked. Is there any harm, or things I should look out for now?

Thanks for the question

Normally you can go swimming after the pool chlorine level reaches between 2 - 4ppm .It really depends on the amount of chlorine used. Obviously a higher chlorine (probably 10ppm - 12ppm or higher) level could result in itchy and/or dry skin and burning eyes.

When residential pool owners shock the pool, they will normally bring the chlorine level up to around 10 - 12ppm. Although swimming in these chlorine levels is not necessarily good, it probably won't cause any lasting damage to your skin or hair. The best thing right now is to take a good shower with anti-chlorine soap, shampoo, and conditioner.

And the person responsible for shocking the pool should have posted a sign or somehow communicated with others that the pool has been shocked and swimmers need to wait until the chlorine level has dropped to the ideal levels.

Hope this answers your question


Click here to post comments

Return to Pool Shock.

Itching And Burning Eyes Experience

by Robby Natividad

I usually go for swimming in a pool and since previous month this year I tried indoor swimming pool and I have experienced for the first time an itching and burning eye sensation and don't last longer in the water.

Another thing is that the smell of chlorine is very irritating. I came back often and usually ask the staff on duty about the discomfort I experience. The staff told me that since December last year they didn't put any chlorine and said that the pH is between 8-9.

They put exhaust for a week now and no changes to the condition of the water and same experience as I get in the water.

May I ask any recommendation on how to manage the said problem in an indoor swimming pool so that I could share it to them. This will help the pool management and the swimmers.

Thank you

Robby Natividad

Thanks for the question Robby

The main reason that swimmers experience itching and burning eyes and skin in an indoor pool is because of the lack of chlorine and poor exhaust and fresh air intakes.

The chlorine kills the bacteria and organic matter (sweat, lotions, urine, make-up). When the pool doesn't have enough chlorine the bacteria gets out of hand. This is the chlorine smell. It's called combined chlorine (CC) or chloramines. Anything over 0.6ppm and it's time to shock the pool. Shocking will kill the CC.

Next is the high pH. The proper range is between 7.4 - 7.8. Anything 8.0 and over and you're only using about 25% of the active chlorine.

Now we come to the fresh air and exhaust. Indoor pools need to have a constant flow of each one. Without these the pool will have a constant chlorine smell.

I'd ask to see the pool records and look at the combined chlorine readings. If they're 0.6ppm or higher for 3 consecutive days it's time to shock the pool. This is the only way to reduce the chloramines.

To post a reply, or if you have a similar question, you can see your post on the Q&A page in the "Shocking A Pool" category.

Check back to this post for updates or answers.

If you need immediate assistance (within 24 hrs) or for emergency personal assistance, you can make a donation of your choice and I'll answer your questions by phone.

Contact Me


Hope this helps and have a great Summer.


Click here to post comments

Return to Pool Shock.

eBooks Are Perfect Desktop & Mobile Device!!

swimming pool care, basic pool care, above ground pool maintenance, inground, salt water

Click Here To Learn How This eBook Can Save You TONS Of Time & Money


Click Here To Learn The Best Way To Clear Up Your Pool 


All Resources In One Convenient Package. Click HERE To Get Started.

Recent Articles

  1. How To Clear Up A Cloudy Pool eBook

    How To Clear Up A Cloudy Pool eBook

    Read More

  2. Pool Float & Sweep

    How do I keep the hose from my pool sweep and the floater from colliding? If I tie the float off where is the best place, and one last if the float is tied off.

    Read More

  3. The calcium hydochlorite will not dissolve in our pool

    The calcium hydochlorite will not dissolve in our pool. It is suspended in the water

    Read More