The calcium hydochlorite will not dissolve in our pool.
The calcium hydochlorite will not dissolve in our pool. It is suspended in the water and clings to the tile line in our gunite pool.
Ph is at 7.5 Everything else is balanced. We had it re-surfaced 2 years ago with a small pebble like plaster product. It is a 100,000 gallon pool. (yes, you read that correctly!) Any suggestions how to dissolve it? The tile line is unsightly!
Hi Patrice. First thing is to stop using calcium hypochlorite. It's sold as "shock". Liquid chlorine or unscented bleach will handle 99% of your chlorine needs, without the side-effects of cal hypo. Just remember to sweep after each gallon is added.
The operative word is calcium, which is a hardened metal, and can be difficult to dissolve in water.
You can turn the pump motor off, allow everything to settle to the bottom, then vacuum to waste or filter. If you choose filter, you're going to need to backwash a couple of times.
If waste, make sure the water level is kept topped off.
You have a larger pool so it may take some time and grunt work to accomplish this. In the meantime, you can maintain a lower pH of 7.2 - 7.4. This keeps the water a bit more on the acidic side to lessen the affects of calcium rings at the water line.
The TA is closely tied to the pH, so make sure it's in range of 80- 120 ppm.
There's no chemical that you can add to force the water to accept the cal hypo. What you're getting into with this statement is the Saturation Index. There's a wheel that is included with the Taylor K-2006 pool water test kit that measures the SI.
Some people choose the Calcite Saturation Index as a more accurate measurement.
If the calcium rings at the water line are getting out of control, maintain a lower pH as stated above. And you can also use a pumice stone to scrape away any excess calcium. 220 grit sand paper works as well. There's also a product called Gysar Tile Brite that you mix with a little muriatic acid. It forms a goopy mixture that you apply to the tiles and eats away the calcium.
I shocked my inground pool with 3 lbs calcium hypochlorite, waited overnight and used 8 oz Ultra Brite. A few hours later my pool became foamy, like really foamy. What did I do wrong and how do I fix this
Hi Debi. I actually made a recent video on this subject.
Foam can be caused by a few things, most notably using a copper algaecide. Also, high levels of organics in the pool, and not ruling out lotions and other forms of grease.
Use scented bleach can cause foaming. I would encourage you to switch to liquid chlorine. Ultra Brite is a clarifier and not needed with normal pool maintenance.
You can try to scoop out as much foam as you can, then shock the pool with liquid chlorine. The foam will eventually dissipate.