Used Swimming Pool Cost

How much should I ask for a 12 year old 24' 52" deep above ground pool with many accessories (heater, solar cover & reel, winter cover, 2 year old sand filter, etc.)

Thanks for your question

The range for the cost of a used swimming pool can vary because the of kind and manufacturer of the pool, accessories, filtration system, etc...

It can even fluctuate from state to state, region to region, and a good or bad local economy.

The question doesn't say the kind of pool it is; an Intex, Ellipse, Belize, Aqua Deluxe,... and what the many accessories are.

There are some in the question, but not all.

So, if you're going on strictly averages, you might get anywhere from $1000 - $4000, depending on the above factors, and many others.

The cost of used swimming pools is like purchasing anything else that is used, so this is just a round figure and not set in stone.

Without all of the details it would be unreasonable to give a detailed answer, but the above price might be a good starting point.

Hope this helps


Click here to post comments

Return to Above Ground Swimming Pools.

What Size Pump & Filter For A 24ft. Above Ground Pool

by Kelly

I just purchased a used 24 ft doughboy pool. Unfortunately the man I bought it from sold the filter and pump.

I am new to this. I was trying to do something nice for my kiddos but I'm now unsure what size or what kind of filter and pump I need to buy for this size pool.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the question Kelly

Without going into all of the technical stuff of gallons per minute and such, here's what you'll want to look for.

Hayward and Pentair have very good pump motors. I'd stick with a 3/4 - 1HP motor. Anything more and you might end up damaging the filter and lessen the filtration quality.

It's basically too powerful.

When looking for an above ground pool motor, you want to ask specifically for an above ground motor.

Most AGP (above ground pools) have the the motor under the water line.

They have to force the water upward so many of them are designed and plumbed differently than pump motors for in-ground pools.

You have an option of a dual-speed motor. This is when the pump motor has one speed for normal filtration and another stronger one for things like back washing.

Next is the filter. You normally have 2 choices; sand or cartridge. If you have an option of the DE filter, I'd personally stay away from it.

Although it does the best in cleaning and filtering the finer particles, it's too messy and sometimes a pain to put back together when you need to clean the grids.

I'd advise you to get a cartridge filter. They rate between a sand (low end filtration) and a DE (high end filtration). It works just like a filter for your car.

The dirty water comes in, gets cleaned and filtered, and out goes the clean water back to the pool.

When they're dirty, simply swap them out with a clean one and clean the dirty one.

Swimming Pool Filter Cartridge

A few kinds of Hayward cartridge filters for an AGP are Easy-Clear, Micro Star-Clear, and XStream.

Many AGP pumps and filters are sold as a single unit.

The systems are normally attached to a base and are more economical than a pump and filter that are sold separately.

Hope this gives you a good starting point and let me know how it turns out for you.

Have a great Summer.


Click here to post comments

Return to Above Ground Swimming Pools.

Need To Replace Top Seat (Ledge) For Above Ground Pool

by Fran Morford
(New Jersey)

Some of my top ledges are rusting and falling apart.. I was wondering if they could be replaced? The rest of my pool is good.

It is a Jade pool made by Delair Co.

Thanks for your time

Fran Morford

Thanks for the question Fran

Many top seats and ledges for above ground pools come in either resin or steel. I will assume yours is steel, being that's it's rusting. Sometimes the ledges can rust or wear out and will either need to be replaced, or in some circumstances, an entire new pool would need to be purchased. I would ask how old the pool is? It might still be under factory warranty.

Without knowing the model of the pool and pictures of the rust, it would be difficult to say whether it can be replaced or not. I know some ledges can, if there are a separate piece.

My best recommendation would be to call the manufacturer of the pool. This way you can get a representative or tech out to your pool to take a closer look and give you the best answer.

A nice site that you might to consider is They mostly deal with Asahi and Mighty Sun swimming pools. I've talked to them a couple of times and they are very nice and informative.

Hope this helps and let me know how it turns out for you.


Click here to read or post comments

Return to Above Ground Swimming Pools.

Need Help..Can Someone ID My Pool PLEASE!!

by Dalayne

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if someone could help me identify the make or model of my pool.

It came with the house that we bought and the vertical uprights are starting to rust at the bottom.

May need replacing soon.

It is 27-28' round x 4 ' deep. I believe it may be a Doughboy, but I cannot find any info online about the name or model.

I know its at least 15 years old.

Any help would be appreciated.


Thanks for the question Dalayne

Sometimes the make or model # can be found under the top lip of the pool. Other times on the skimmer. The picture is good so hopefully someone else has the same kind of pool.

This has been put out there so if someone knows, just use the comment link at the bottom of this page.

Your question will appear as a link on the pool Q&A page in the "above ground pool" category as:

"Need Help..Can Someone ID My Pool PLEASE!!"

Swimming Pool Questions and Answers

This is the first category on the page.

Check back every so often to your link to see if anyone has posted something new.

Hopefully we'll get some answers that will help you.


Click here to post comments

Return to Above Ground Swimming Pools.