High Phosphates Over 1000 & Cloudy Water
I have never had this phosphate issue in 14 years and now all of a sudden I have them, and it's at 1,000. After putting in 3 bottles of remover, I can't see the bottom of my pool.
Yes I vacuum and yes, I backwash, but the minute I start to vacuum, everything just moves around and I cant hardly vacuum it out. I have had it and ready to throw in the towel.
I have wasted so much money trying to get it clear, that I can't turn it around. They keep telling me not to add chlorine that the phosphates thrive off it.
I just want my pool back to normal and after going to two different pool stores they keep telling me the same BS. Can I just add a bunch of chlorine and hope that helps?
I am ready to put the cover on it and call it a day and buy a new liner next year! They tell me once I have them in my liner, they will never leave!!
I have a vinyl, 10,000 gallon in ground pool with a sand filter. I cry every time I leave the pool store, for I feel like they are handing my a death sentence. Can you suggest anything for me to help turn this pool around?
We only have three months of nice weather here in Chicago, and I have already wasted a month not being able to swim in a milky pool.
Thanks for the question Kelly
Pool owners like you are the reason
why I put this site up in 2009. I really and truly feel sorry for pool owners when they get into this situation, and it's completely avoidable.
Here's the truth.
Phosphates are food for algae, not the other way around. Your questions says "They keep telling me not to add chlorine that the phosphates thrive off it." The phosphates thrive off of chlorine? That's completely bogus. ALGAE thrives off of phosphates.
Chlorine is the sanitizer for the pool and the chlorine kills the algae. Pools should between 1.5 - 3.5ppm chlorine. If you keep the chlorine level between 1.5 - 3.5ppm, that's good enough to kill the algae and bacteria in the pool. There's no algae and bacteria in the pool, right? All of it is gone.
Phosphates, even a slightly elevated level, are safe to swim in. By keeping the chlorine level between 1.5 - 3.5ppm, and there's no algae because the chlorine kills it, and even though I may have a slightly elevated, BUT SAFE, phosphate level, then why do I need to phosphate remover?
There's your answer. You don't need a phosphate remover. You can use regular bleach instead of pool chlorine. Bleach was nothing more than watered down sodium hypochlorite?
There are only two thing you can do. The first is a partial or full drain and refill. 2nd is to keep filtering and back washing. There's no chemical to get rid of phosphate remover.
Again, sorry to hear about your situation, but the above 2 solutions are the only ones available at this time.